If you live in Australia for four years on an Australian visa, including the last 12 months as a permanent resident, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of the Australian citizenship.
There are other ways of also acquiring citizenship, including:
- Those who are born in Australia become citizens by birth when they reach the age of 10 and demonstrate that they have lived that time in Australia, even if their parents are not citizens or permanent residents.
- If one of the parents is an Australian citizen, a child born abroad can be registered for citizenship as a descendant. These children have the same rights as those born in Australia.
- The husband or partner of an Australian citizen.
Here are the benefits of the Australian citizenship:
1. Right to vote
As an Australian citizen, you can vote on any election day: federal, state or territorial, municipal, and in a referendum.
In Australia, citizens over 18 years of age are required to vote. If you do not exercise your right to vote, you may be fined up to AUD $180.
2. You can be a politician
All Australian citizens over the age of 18 have the right to stand for election as local councillors, deputies, state or federal senators.
Get to know the details of the criteria you must meet in order to apply
3. Jobs in the Government and the Federal Ministry of Defence.
Most of these jobs require staff who are Australian citizens. Some jobs that have the Australian citizenship as a requirement are:
- Jobs in the Australian Defence
- Australian Federal Police.
- Australian Border Force.
- Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
4. Avoid deportation and re-entry into Australia freely
Citizenship will allow you to stay indefinitely in Australia, leave and enter the country whenever you want, with the privilege of being out for as long as you want.
When you return to Australia, you won’t have to make long lines in front of the immigration box. The machines installed to read “Arrivals SmartGate” passports make life easier for those arriving.
5. Apply for a passport
As an Australian citizen you are entitled to an Australian passport with which you can travel and enter 157 countries without applying for a visa.
According to a recent report, the Australian passport is the eighth strongest passport in the world in terms of freedom of travel.
At Visado we want you to fulfill your dream of migrating to Australia, that’s why we will advise you with the application of your visa. This way you will be assured that your migration process will be carried out in the best possible way.
You have just read: “What are the benefits of Australian citizenship?” To receive our advice on your migration process, you can contact us through our communication channels. Rest assured that at Visado we will be ready to help you fulfill your dream of living in Australia.
Take the free eligibility test to find out what your score is and qualify an Australian visa according to your profile. In addition, you can schedule advice with us and get an informative guide on the visa you wish to apply to.